Friday, January 9, 2015

The 5 Ws of painting (finale)

Hey guys,

I know this week has been full of me talking and giving my point of view on the creative process and I want ot truly thank all of those who stuck by this entire week with me. It means alot and I am really grateful. Next week will be a totally different week with some new stuff and at least  one painted miniature. So if you want to see painted miniatures and were turned off by my ranting next week will be a good week to come and look at what I am doing. Okay enough of that, lets finish this week off with the last W. So let's go!

"Why?"

I have been over the four corner stones of the creative process with the past four days. This is how I think when I am in creative mode. I am not saying that this is the perfect method and that all other methods are wrong. If I gave that impression, I apologize now. It's just to me, it is easier to start a project with a clear layout of what I want to do and what I have in mind. It's helps keep me focused and in line or I end up getting distracted like a cat with a laser pointer attached to its head.

I mentioned yesterday that today's topic would be different and it is. The Why is why all of this stuff goes into the creative process and if you want to approach a project this way, why all of the research and work and planning goes into it. It's because and again this is only my opinio, it gives a complete picture into what you are painting. You can easily paint a beautiful miniature without any of this thought in mind and It won't be any less skillfully done or detailed as if you follow this method. I am not going out and saying that every way is stupid or dumb but this is my way of doing this and I wanted to share with everyone.

This method for me at least adds as I said over this past week, depth.  Instead of a miniature on a base, you have a character in a scene. You have a knight defending a kingdom or a woman dressed up for a fancy ball. When you take into account all the work you put into the planning and if you want to take it to that sort of realism then you have painted a story in a tiny little statue.

That's what this whole idea for me  has been about.  Adding depth and context to what can very easily simple idea. It turns miniature into a character and hopefully adds a level of fun and creative aspect to an already fun and imaginative friendly hobby.

So that's it, hopefully you enjoyed the ride as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Any questions, feel free to put it in the comments. Again thank you all and if you liked this series, if you think it can be improved or just didn't like it. Let me know in the comments!

Until Next Time,
Mystix

No comments:

Post a Comment